Jerome and the Days After


It's hard to know how to thank everybody for the outpouring of love and support over the last two days. From what was easily the scariest moment of my life and a potential tragedy has emerged a warm feeling of kinship and appreciation for my friends and family. I can't think of anything more cliché but I have to state the obvious - this should remind everyone that life is far more flimsy than we know. But this has also happily led me towards reconnecting with certain people with whom I haven't spoken in a long time. It's nice to know that although they may be out of sight, when it really counts you know people are there for you. From my heart, thank you all for your kind words and concern.

I'm not sure it's worth trying to be too philosophical  about something like this - I've already played the 'scenarios game'. Could I have braked earlier? Could I have swerved more to avoid him? What if I had been there five seconds earlier? Five seconds later? There are no answers and it's not worth thinking about. But it's hard not to.

By way of a practical update, my body has progressively hurt more and more over the last two days and I have developed a huge and colorful bruise on my thigh worthy of such a fine crash. I suspect today will be as bad as it gets (it's always the third day, right?) and then it should start to feel better. I have been hunkered down at my uncle's house getting some R&R. I can't express how lucky I was to have him and my aunt Molly nearby. They have been my surrogate family and [near-death experience notwithstanding] I am thrilled this incident has served to bring us so close so quickly. They have pampered me with nice meals, a cozy guest bed and great conversation. Though I must admit I was a little hurt when my uncle destroyed me in an 18 hole putting competition. No matter how many times I told him that I had suffered massive mental and emotional trauma from the crash, he kept the hammer down and took skin after skin after skin. Heartless!

I am still waiting to hear from the insurance companies - "his" and mine. They are apparently working on the case and by Monday I hope they tell me what my options are. As beautiful as this place is and nice as it sounds right now, I can't stay with my uncle and aunt forever, so I should have a plan in place shortly.

Last night I got a text from Jerome. "This is Jerome, I was just checking to see how you're doing?" I wrote him back, saying I was fine but that I was embarrased for not knowing who he was. I didn't know any Jeromes. With his next text I quickly realized that he was the man in the minivan directly behind me when the accident happened. When I first stood up after the crash, he was already out of his car and running over to me. Jerome was a 40-something African American man with a white canvas Kangol cap and a beautiful family. He too was on a long trip (California to Ohio I think?) and as he approached me, he asked how I was and started to tell me what he saw, how it happened and how lucky everyone was to be alive. He also took a bunch of photos that he texted to me at the scene but I was not able to access  on my old smashed phone (which incidentally was the first thing I replaced after leaving the accident). So he sent them again to me last night - I know it's morbid but I want to post his pictures as well. I think it's good to have all this in one place and it's cathartic for me to write about and process it all.

Jerome - a good man who helped me through a tough time

A FEW PRACTICAL ITEMS

  • Many of you have expressed concern for my poor Dad who I was talking to on the phone before, during and after the crash. Thankfully the phone worked the entire time and although he said I was silent for maybe 20 horrifying seconds after the crash, I was able to quickly assure him that I was ok. I felt bad he had to go through that but it sure could have been worse (e.g. last words from the pilot before going to down).
  • Julie Mueller - the suit I was wearing was indeed an Aerostitch. Specifically the Roadcrafter Light One Piece Suit with the "optional" armor. I get how the suit saved my skin and major joints (knees, elbows, shoulder). But how I didn't have a shattered hipuloid or compound fracture of the spinal bone is still beyond me. (I'm guessing it's due to my huge upper body strength and massive pecs.)
  • Tylenol has be replaced with Ibuprofen which has surprisingly helped with the pain quite a bit.
Again, I know Jerome's photos below will look similar to the ones I included in the last post, but I want to collect everything I had in one place.

<< Last Post  |  Next Post >> 

















<< Previous Post  |  Next Post >> 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Air with the Greatest of Ease...

Epilogue: Some things just can't heal